Sky, our beloved Black Labrador, went missing on 1st December 2008. We have been trying very hard to find him, and have been overwhelmed by the number of neighbours, friends and complete strangers who have been offering help and support. With so many people helping we cannot make calls in person to keep everyone up to date with the search, so this blog is our way of letting everyone know what is happening. CONTACT NUMBERS FOR US ARE 07951-722747 (PREFERABLE) OR 07921-545615

Thursday 12 February 2009

At last - another sighting!

The silence is broken and yes, he's moved slightly to another area where we have less publicity.
Around 5.30pm this evening a lady driving home travelling north from Sheepy Magna coming into Twycross saw a black lab running down the road. She stopped the car and got out and he went into the field on the right. She got within 6 feet of him to try to catch him, he barked and ran away. She describes a metal collar (not right - Sky's is black leather with a metal buckle) and a tag. However we know from tracking down other dogs that precise collar descriptions are not always accurate.
She told a friend who walks to Congerstone with her dog who'd seen our publicity and drove to where she knew there was a poster and called me with her friend's mobile number. So the system works!
For those who aren't from around these parts, this represents a move westwards of around 3 miles so no surprise. It's very rural.
So volunteers are needed for tomorrow if anyone's free?
Shops, pubs, footpaths, village noticeboards need posters (we have one in the middle of Twycross and one in the middle of Sheepy and that's it).
Need to put flyers in doors of anyone with any sizeable property or on the edge of the village.
Need to chat to people to see if anyone's noticed a black labrador.
Need to walk the couple of footpaths leading east out of Twycross.
Obviously it's important we don't swamp the area and scare him off so if people could call me on my mobile 07951-722747 I can co-ordinate. Please avoid 10-11am as I'm supposed to be on a teleconference to London, but at the rate I'm going I'm too excited and may ditch it!
Ann our dog warden fortunately covers that area too, and will go out there tomorrow. If we get any more sightings she has a 2nd trap we can deploy.
I'm also going to pop in to the vet to see if they know of dogs who've just given birth. Ann says the smell of new pups and milk is highly interesting and could entice him into a trap.
Lastly Ann says she's had a few dogs turn up at Twycross Zoo, as if it's the animal smells or the food which attacts them!! I'm going to the Zoo tomorrow (my favourite local place anyway) and if I see young Sky snuggled in with the monkeys he'll be told off.
Ffion

4 comments:

  1. Brilliant news Ffion and Tim. I can tell by your posting how much this has lifted your spirits. I am far too far away to be of help on the ground I am afraid but wil be thinking of you and raying for your success. Do post any news as soon as-I have a really good feeling about this. :-) Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. good luck everything crossed that you find him, I'm a friend of Jon & Shelley and they told us all about your Skye, postive thoughts that it's your day tomorrow. x

    Come on Sky time to go home x

    ReplyDelete
  3. As close friends of Jon and Shelley who are sadly in the same awful situation as yourselves with their missing Bracco, my heart goes out to you. I am hoping that this latest sighting brings the fantastic news that you have been longing for and that Sky is home where he belongs.
    Will be thinking of you.
    Sarah Rowe and family x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Good luck in your search for Sky, I hope he is home soon as is Jacob. I too am a friend of Shelley & Jon's and just been living this awful nightmare with them, My heart goes out to you all and I pray for both of your boys to be home very soon.
    Regards
    Jane

    ReplyDelete